- 250g self raising flour
- 150g sugar
- 70ml vegetable oil
- 210ml dairy free milk
- Rind of 2 lemons
- 5 tsp lemon juice (I use the bottled stuff)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 100g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/ 180c
- Put the flour, sugar, oil, milk, lemon rind and 5 tsp of lemon juice into a mix bowl and beat to a smooth batter.
- Pour in to a lined and greased round tin, I use a 7 inch loose bottomed tin but to be honest any tin will do!
- Put the cake into the oven for 50 minutes. (If you use a bigger tin cook for less time) when you prick with a knife the knife should come out clean.
- Whilst the cake cooks mix the juice of the two lemons with the icing sugar.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven pour over half of the lemon and sugar mix. Wait five minutes then pour on the other half.
- Allow it to cool in the tin.
Tips and Cheats
Don’t worry if you have no lemons and just a bottle of juice. You can omit the rind! I like the flavour and texture it gives but it works without it. You can make it as cupcakes (cook for 15 minutes) or you can cook as a tray bake (30 minutes). It is lovely warm with some plant based cream on top too!