- 150g self raising flour
- 50g rolled oats
- 100g sugar (brown or white or half and half)
- 100g vegan butter (I love Vitalite)
- Set oven to gas mark 5/ 180c
- Prepare your fruit filling (see note below)
- Put all the ingredients in to a bowl
- Rub the butter in to the dry by rubbing your thumb and fingers together.
- Put the fruit in to a pie dish and put the crumble mix on top (thickly!)
- Cook for 25 min or until golden brown.
Tips and cheats
Who doesn’t love a crumble? You can use any fruit you like in this, just make sure you cook it a little first.
- Apples – use twice as many apples as the size of your pie dish. Peal and core them and cook them in a little water with a table spoon of sugar until they start to soften.
- Apples and blackberry – As above but chuck in two cups of blackberries.
- Rhubarb – use twice as much as your pie dish will hold. Chop in to inch size pieces taking off any thick skin. Bring to the boil in a small amount of water with 2 tbsp sugar.
- Rhubarb and strawberry – half and half but don’t pre-cook the strawberries toss them in once the rhubarb has cooked.
- Poached pear – use twice as many pears as the pie dish holds and peal and half them. Put in to a pan of water with a thumb of ginger and 1/2 cup of maple syrup. Poach until soft.
There are so many more options to play around with! you can add some orange zest into the crumble mix too or even some ginger and cinnamon.