- 250g self raising flour
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp white wine or cider vinegar
- 70ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 200ml dairy free milk (I use oat milk)
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 or 180c.
- Put all of your ingredients in to a mixing bowl and beat together. I like to use a Norwegian flat whisk but a wooden spoon or regular hand whisk will be fine too! You need a smooth-ish batter (no lumps of flour thank you!)
- I then line two 7 inch cake tins (just the bottom) and split the mixture evenly between them.
- Pop the tins in to the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and leave it in the tin for a couple of minutes then transfer out to a cooling rack.
- Once the cakes are cooled you can fill with jam. I love strawberry or raspberry jam! If you are feeling luxurious you could even add cream or buttercream!
Tips and cheats
This cake can’t really get any easier! It is a chuck it all in give it a beat and bake kind of cake. I am sure Mary Berry wouldn’t approve but it works and the kids love it too. It keeps for a couple of days in a tin too (if there is any left!) Enjoy!