- 1 onion diced
- 1 large carrot sliced into half moons
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 veg stock cube (My fav are Knorr or Sainsburys)
- 1 tin baked beans
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp brown sauce
- Vegan soya mince (Our favourite is Sainsburys)
- 6 large potatoes
- Heat oven to gas mark 5/ 180c
- Boil the potatoes in one pan.
- Heat your oil in another pan and soften the onions and carrots for 5 minutes.
- Add in the peas, mushrooms and mince.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Simmer the mix for 20 minutes, if it looks to dry out then add a little more liquid and stir occasionally.
- Once the potatoes have cooked, drain and mash them.
- Pour the mince mix into a pie dish and top with the mash.
- Pop the pie into the oven for 15 minutes or until the mash is a little crispy.
Tips and cheats
You can really play with this dish. If you don’t like soya mince you can use 2 cups of red lentils and a handful of oats or you can make mushroom mince by blending 300g of mushrooms. You can add a little more brown sauce, I like the tang it gives the dish. feel free to add in two sweet potatoes to the mash and we often sprinkle vegan cheese onto the top before it goes in to the oven.
If you want to make this in advance you can do the whole things and pop it in the fridge and just cook in the oven when you want to eat it. You can also freeze the mince mix although if you are using lentils they don’t defrost great.