- 250g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150g sugar
- 70ml vegetable/sunflower oil
- 210ml dairy free milk (I use oat)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pink and yellow food colouring
- 300g icing sugar and water to make icing.
- Preheat oven to gas mark 5/180c
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, oil, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Split the mix in half and colour one half pink and one half yellow. (This is totally optional!)
- I use a small roasting tin to cook the cake in but you can use any tin you wish. Line the tin with baking paper.
- Pour in the pink mix and spread evenly.
- Carefully pour over the yellow mix and very gently spread it out.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool
- To make the icing put the icing sugar in a bowl and add in a tsp of water at a time until you get a thick icing. It should just be able to pour.
- take out 3 tbsp of the icing and colour pink.
- Pour the white icing over the cake and then either using a piping bag or a spoon drizzle over the pink icing in a pattern of your choice!
- Allow the icing to set before cutting.
Tips and cheats
This cake really is a chuck it all in and mix cake it is so easy. You don’t have to colour the batter and you don’t have to colour the icing. Depending on your oven cooking time will vary slightly by 5 minutes so just watch it from 25 min so it doesn’t burn.