- 250g self raising flour
- 150g sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 70ml vegetable oil
- 200ml oat milk (or other dairy free milk)
- 1tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 200g marzipan
- 200g glace cherries
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/160c
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, and vinegar and beat into a smooth batter. It doesn’t take long so it is super easy by hand,
- In an 8 inch tin add a layer of baking parchment to the bottom. The tin will need fairly deep sides.
- Pour in about 1/2 of the cake batter.
- Roll out the marzipan in a disc the size of your tin and lay over the cake batter .
- Chop the cherries in half and add on top of the marzipan in an even layer.
- Pour over the rest of the cake batter making sure all the cherries are covered.
- Pop the cake into the oven and cook for 50 minutes. It may need a little longer if a skewer doesn’t come out clean.
Tips and Cheats
This cake is so good warm from the oven. It is also good a day old with lashings of custard! (Birds custard powder is vegan!) If you want a more almond taste, or don’t have marzipan you can either add almond essence in place of the vanilla, or you can swap out 1/2 of the flour for ground almonds. This does result in a heavier cake! However, you eat it enjoy it!