- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 blocks of frozen garlic or 6 large cloves
- 2 large tomatoes diced (or a handful of cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tin of drained chickpeas (or any bean I actually prefer black beans!)
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- 2 Tbsp. Peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp of mustard (any but I like Dijon!)
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice (the bottled stuff is mighty fine)
- Salt and pepper
- Spring onions and fresh herbs to garnish if you are feeling fancy
- In a large pan with a little oil soften the garlic and onion for 5 minutes.
- Then add in the tomatoes and chickpeas or beans and cook on a medium heat stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rice and spinach for a further 5 minutes until the spinach wilts.
- In a small bowl mix the peanut butter, lemon juice and mustard to a paste and then stir it in to the main pan.
- Finally season to taste and when serving sprinkle on some spring onions and maybe fresh parsley.
Tips and cheats
I love this dish hot or cold but hot it makes a great accompaniment to a vegan burger and gherkins or even just on its own in a big bowl. Rice and beans together make a great protein source and with the added veggies you have some vital vitamins too. Who knew comfort food could be so good for you?!