- 250g Self raising flour
- 150g Caster sugar (plus 2 tablespoons for glaze)
- Zest and Juice of 2 lemons
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 70ml Sunflower or vegetable oil
- 200ml Oat milk (or any milk you fancy)
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5/180c.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, lemon zest and juice of 1 of the lemons, baking powder, oil and milk.
- Beat until smooth. I use a whisk but you can use a wooden spoon.
- Line 2 loaf tins (or use the same tin twice!) with baking paper.
- Pour half the mixture in to each tin. You can pour it all in to 1 tin if you want a thicker bar.
- Place into the hot oven for 25- 30 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Whilst the cake cooks mix 2 tbsp of caster sugar with the juice of 1 lemon.
- Once the cakes come out of the oven, whilst still in their tins, prick all over the top with a cocktail stick (about 20 times).
- Drizzle over the glaze (half over each cake or all over 1 cake).
- Leave to cool in the tin and then remove and slice in to bars. You should get about 6 bar from each tin.
Tips and Cheats
You can make this mix any flavour you want. If you want chocolate remove 30g of flour and add in 30g of cocoa. Just mix the cocoa to a paste with some of the milk before adding to the cake and remove the lemon! You can swap the lemons out for 1 orange or you can use vanilla or almond essence instead of the lemon. You want about 1-2tsp of essence! I wrap the cakes in a little baking paper and pop them in the children’s lunch boxes. Enjoy!