- 500ml of warm water
- 1 packet of instant dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1tbsp salt
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 900g bread flour (we use white but you could use a mix of half and half)
- In a large bowl add the water, yeast and sugar.
- Stir and leave it for 10 minutes until it is all frothy!
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring it together into a dough. It will be a little sticky
- Kneed the dough until it is smooth and has no lumpy bits. It shouldn’t take more than 8 minutes. I do it in the bowl as the bowl we have is huge but you can tip it on to your workbench. Just don’t add too much extra flour.
- Put the ball of dough back into the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel or clingfilm.
- Leave it somewhere warm for 3 hours.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and kneed for 30 seconds to knock it back.
- Cut the dough in to 8 balls (for large pizza/calzone) or 16 small balls for lunch box sized.
- Oil a large tray and pop the balls on the tray with room for them to double in size.
- Cover them with a damp towel or clingfilm and leave for 2-3 hours until they have doubled in size.
- You can then roll them out and make either calzone or pizza.
- For calzone you pop the filiing in the middle then fold over and twist the edge together. Pop on a tray in to a hot pre-heated oven (200c/gas mark 6) for 20 minutes until golden.
- For pizza roll out your pizza and place on the tomato sauce. Pop into a hot oven (200c/gas mark 6) for 4 minutes then take out and add all your toppings. Pop it back into the oven for another 5 minutes or until it is the level of crispness you like!
Tips and Cheats
If you want to make the dough in advance you can freeze it before the second proving or pop it in the fridge overnight after the second proving. Just bring back to room temperature and carry on from where you left off. You can add so many different toppings and fillings from savory such as mushrooms, and sweetcorn through to sweet calzone with vegan chocolate spread and banana (these are addictive so be warned!) The cooked calzone will last 2 days in the fridge and are really good cold on a picnic! To make the sauce we use 1/2 vegan red pesto to half tomato ketchup or we just use vegan green pesto (my favourite!). Enjoy!